Thursday, March 27, 2008
Wednesday, March 26, 2008
GameVideos have managed to snag the first footage of the massively anticipated Next-Gen debut of the Resident Evil franchise, Resident Evil 5, taken from a Capcom DVD. Although offscreen, the video showcases fantastic lighting and animation in several gameplay sequences, together with footage of modelers and animators hard at work on the game's characters. The video contains Japanese voice over, however the nice folk at NeoGaf have managed to get a translation of the key details:
"Ever since the dawn of time,
the most primordial human emotion has been...
The DVD starts with footage of the original RE, where the original nightmare started as Chris and Jill try to escape the mansion.
In RE2, the battle against Umbrella unfolded as Raccoon City died.
In 3, an incessant hunter pursued Jill Valentine.
In the deserted island of Rockfort, more mysteries unfolded in CODE: Veronica.
Convict Billy Coen was an unexpected ally in Zero.
And in a village infected with madness, Leon rescued the president's daughter in 4...
The series was introduced in 1996 and broke sales records.
Now a new game is coming... Biohazard 5.
Takeuchi Interview (very rough/basic translation)
Footage of the devs examining Chris' Biohazard 5 character model on a PC. The original Biohazard was developed on older hardware, but in 5, the hardware allows for the character models to be adapted to various situations.
There were various teams that could make the game at the beginning.
Africa confirmed - Or, at the very least, the village is modeled after an African village
Sunlight will be a focus of the game to achieve a new kind of feel not done before.
Chris at first can walk around the village with no one attacking him, but he sees two people attacking another and dragging the guy into the room. Chris follows in, and the action starts after the mutation.
More footage of Chris fighting the ganados. So far, it's very similar to RE4.
Shinji Mikami's Biohazard 4 is the base for the system, with evolutions and improvements planned.
Takeuchi was a staff member of the original Biohazard, of which Chris was a star of. 5 takes place 10 years after the original RE, and Chris has a new mission.
Chris is up against a huge number of enemies. The game will have variation in weapons including series classics like the Handgun and Shotgun and such. The footage shows the developers examining a handgun character model.
The game will make use of the action buttons (QTEs) from Biohazard 4 once again.
Message to the Fans
Fans have eagerly awaited prior titles and now await Biohazard 5. Capcom's working hard on the game's unexpected graphics, system and story. The Biohazard series has taken on various forms in its history. Presently a CG movie is also in works (Biohazard Degeneration) and that will be shown as well. There is a lot to look forward to in the Biohazard world this year. We will delve down into the story and characters of the Biohazard series, and thus this year will be filled with Biohazard. Please look forward to more information on the title this year.
Final World from Mr. Takeuchi
WAIT FOR THE MEDIA SUMMIT
Check out the footage below before it disappears!
Thursday, March 20, 2008
Check it out at Nick Larsen Media.
Personally, work and family life have been a real drain on my time and energy lately, and so while I have been keeping tabs on what's been happening, nothing has really blown my skirt up enough to both posting about it. This Easter, my family and I are heading Into the Wild camping for a few days, and while I'm no Outdoors man, frankly I'm looking forward to getting away from technology and games for a while to recharge my batteries.
As we head into the middle of the year, we'll definitely start to see things ramping up considerably, with the mother load of GTA4 hitting on 29 April. Can't wait to check it out.
Just to prove that there's still interesting stuff happening, heres a new (and breathtaking) trailer of Codemasters' new racing game, Grid. Built from the next iteration of their outstanding Neon engine, Grid is looking like something truly special. Looking forward to seeing more about the game in the near future.
Have a safe and happy Easter all. Get lots of gaming in, and may all your frags be headshots ;-)
Posted by Mark at 2:38 AM
Monday, March 17, 2008
- New Facebreaker screenshots (Shacknews)
- Call of Duty 4 does another tour of duty in Game of Year Edition (Joystiq)
- New Forza 2 Car Pack DLC incoming (IGN)
- THQ joins offroad racing party with Baja (Shacknews)
- Epic Games collection breaks free of retail with Steam (Evil Avatar)
- Prey 2 officially announced (Voodoo Extreme)
Posted by Mark at 3:55 PM
Friday, March 14, 2008
An enterprising developer going by the name of Senocular has managed to use the google map system to display a scrolling, zoomable map of Paradise City that allows you to overlay a variety of the challenge content in the game, ie. race routes, gas stations etc. It's pretty cool, check it out below. I've also posted a link to the developer's blog so you can read about how he did it!
Burnout Paradise Interactive City map
Wednesday, March 12, 2008
We've seen a number of arcade games remade as digital downloads. Many have failed to properly upgrade the graphics, sound or gameplay. From our brief time with 1942: Joint Strike, it doesn't seem developer Backbone Entertainment has fallen into this trap. In fact, Joint Strike stands out as an example of how to reintroduce an arcade game to a modern audience.Head over to IGN now to check out the full preview and first direct feed vids.
1942: Joint Strike Preview (IGN)
Monday, March 10, 2008
UPDATE: 9 minutes of StarCraft 2 Zerg gameplay footage has shown up on YouTube.
UPDATE2: Voodoo Extreme is first out of the blocks with a direct feed version of the Zerg reveal trailer
Saturday, March 8, 2008
Friday, March 7, 2008
Tuesday, March 4, 2008
As you all know we have been playing, listening and responding to feedback with you all, our community. In addition we've also been working hard to make Burnout Paradise even better. In play time and reading issues that players are reporting we've been making adjustments and fixes to the game. We're very nearly complete with this update and wanted to share with you all what it is that we're doing.Burnout: Paradise 1.2 patch in the works (Team XBox)
The Top 10 problems reported by you have been fixed, these are:
- PS3 game can crash when a player is taken down and the player that has performed the Takedown leaves the game.
- The game indefinitely displays "Connecting to Paradise City Servers" if it's having problems pinging the rebroadcast server.
- Disconnecting the controller before a race begines can mean that race timings can be manipulated with players who didn't cross the line first being awarded the win
- Repeatedly joining and leaving a game with 8 players can cause the game to hang.
- Hammering the A (360) or X (PS3) after unlocking a car can cause the game to hang.
- East Crawford and Watt St achievements can not be achieved if the player goes online and sets road rules before attempting them.
- Audio distortion when using 5.1 / DTS and looking rearwards.
- Enhanced 360 streaming performance stops instances where the game seems to pause for a second or so. - Total time driven in player stats would stick at 145 hours :)
- VoIP connection problems with 8 player games.
Game experience enhancements
- We're going to be running road rule timers in all events and online challenges.
- Tuning Online Takedown logic & physical behaviour to iron out instances where it doesn't feel fair.
- Increase online race timer timeout so players have a greater chance of finishing the race.
- Fix drifting bug when drifting and boosting there wasn't any real control on the brake so players would grind around the walls of the corners. Getting better control.
- Boost fix, stabbing the boost has too much of a jerky behaviour in the car handling.
- Surround sound fix - Centre speaker was 4dB louder, ruining the mix and the speech has now been positioned correctly.
- Tweak Marked Man gameplay AI, was easy to exploit by driving in reverse.
- Increase the # of search results returned for online games.
- Increase Picture Paradise timer so it doesn't kick in so quickly.
Other high priority issues being fixed
- Some online race start points face the players in the wrong direction
- Instances where Barrel rolls were not registering correctly in Stunt Run
- Instances in Stunt Run where players would crash but not wreck & score multipliers by driving away
- Fixed instances where the counting of Boost Chains would drop out
- Some instances where Revenge Rivalries desync & don't get fixed until players are updated online.
- Some instance where the Host couldn't change the game access if the game was created through an invite.
- Achievements, Awards and Challenges numbers sometimes not updated if the player didn't leave the game cleanly
- Online challenge issues where the challenge couldn't be completed if it was started at the exact time that a player left the game.
- Incorrect rivalry updates when European players played against English or Japanese players. Online connection issues
- Force timeout if the 360 gets stuck on "Connecting to Paradise City Servers" - NAT error
- Rich presence on 360 didn't change correctly when there is a change in the game parameters.
- Instances where Friends were not being displayed on the mini map.
We'll get a definitive release date out to you all as soon as we can, but it doesn't stop here for us! Look out in the near future for more details on future updates and our plans for DLC.
The Burnout Team.
Sunday, March 2, 2008
Valve have released a fly through from a new map coming for Team Fortress 2, called Goldrush. The map, themed around a series of mine shafts, looks like it will suit matches with a large number of players, with a huge play area. We'll bring you more details about this exciting new map as they surface, but in the meantime, check out the fly through from GameTrailers below:
UPDATE: oops, the video appears to have been taken down.